comb/waddle color ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mickeymousears, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Songster

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    [​IMG]

My BR comb/waddle colors change. Sometimes its bright red sometimes its yellow. When she jumped in my lap this morning it was red and as she napped on my belly (her favorite spot) I looked down and it was yellow. I don't notice it with my rir - hers always seem bright red. The BR isn't laying yet but started squating last week-idk if that matters.

She seems otherwise healthy so I'm guessing it has to do with heart rate/blood flow. Does anyone have a real answer??

2. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Songster

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Hope somebody knows this one. I thought I was loosing my mind watching the color changes, first light then dark red!!!

3. iamsara

iamsara In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Sonoma, Ca
    hi! i dont the scientific answer, but ive noticed it too..
    i think it has to do with nutrients and what theyve eaten, or not.
    it seems better to not look like dry skin kind of colour, but more red and shiny even.
    maybe more will post later on
    blessings have fun!

4. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Songster

Sep 6, 2010
    My SS's comb changes shades, sometimes. It'll be a nice pinkish-red color, but then when she's hot or has to lay, her face and comb is bright red.

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Songster

It's a hormonal indicator for mating and etc.

6. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Songster

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Hmmm well I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I keep watching her color to judge when she is going to lay (they say bright red color means eggs). Idk who "they" is or how much they know about this subject. But one day I think oh soon and the next time its yellow. Next nap time ill try to get a pic of her yellow face.

7. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Songster

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Quote:Oh ok so red means mating time? She squatted for me before she got in my lap. It changes that quick? I guess human hormones change quickly to tho.
    Thanks for the info!

8. nickie

nickie Songster

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Thought I was nutts the first time I noticed that with mine. I wonder why that happens. Hopefully someone knows.

9. greensandjeans

greensandjeans In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    I've noticed it with my silver laced wyandotte. I wondered about it too. She hasn't started to lay yet. The bright red seems to correspond with the times that she wants to run around and be a bit crazy.

10. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I don't know if changes in comb/wattles are the same in chickens as they are in turkeys but you should see how a tom's face and neck changes when they are trying to sweet talk a hen. I think as long as your chicken's comb and wattles are usually red, she is just fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by