Comb/Wattle VS Feather Sexing Buff Orpingtons

LandoB123

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 26, 2014
At 4 weeks old, which do you think is a more sure sign of sexing Buff Orpingtons: Comb/wattle development or amount of feathering?

Here's my dilemma...

I got seven St. Run Buff Orpingtons from a hardware store when they were 3 days old. I tried my best attempt at "feather sexing" their wings when I got them home. 5 of them all looked exactly the same and had the shorter stubby wings. 2 of them had very noticably longer wings with longer feathers developing. I guessed I had 5 males and 2 pullets.

I marked their heads with different colors and the 2 that had the "longer wings" as 3 day old did indeed feather much faster than the other 5.

Now at 4 weeks old my 2 suspected pullets are still identical. Pretty much Fully feathered with full tails and very little comb/wattle development.

The other 5 are a little further behind in feathering, with much shorter stubby tails and still more scraggly looking with feathers still coming in. But their combs/wattles are throwing me way off. 1 of the 5 has a huge comb/wattle compared to the others. The other 4 still have very little comb/wattle, hardly any more noticable than my fully feathered "suspected" pullets.

So I have 2 suspected pullets, tiny comb, no wattle, fully feathered with long full tails.

Then I have the 5 that have the stubby short tails and are behind in feathering, but only 1 of those 5 has developed a much larger comb/wattles.

I have attatched pictures of their heads, sorry I didn't get more of the feathering in there but hope I explained it well enough.
4 weeks old tomorrow.

First my 2 suspected pullets:

Here is the 1 of the group that has a VERY noticable larger comb/wattle:

And here are the other 4 Im not sure about. They are feathered more like the one with the large comb, but still much smaller combs/wattles.

What do you guys think as far as sex?

So far I don't see any cockerels aside from the one you know about. Orpingtons can be slow to mature, so it's possible others will sprout a redder comb in the next 2-3 weeks. If one does I guess it would be the next to last one (I can't tell if the slight color to the comb is there or due to lighting) but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pullet.

So far I don't see any cockerels aside from the one you know about. Orpingtons can be slow to mature, so it's possible others will sprout a redder comb in the next 2-3 weeks. If one does I guess it would be the next to last one (I can't tell if the slight color to the comb is there or due to lighting) but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pullet.
x2

So you think the combs/wattles are a more sure sign than the fact that the last 4 have been slower feathering and look more like the "for sure" cockerel as far as slower feathering and shorter stubby tails? The first two are just much "fuller" feathered than the other 5 at this point.

Last edited:
So you think the combs/wattles are a more sure sign than the fact that the last 4 have been slower feathering and look more like the "for sure" cockerel as far as slower feathering and shorter stubby tails?
Definitely.

It's really too early to say with Orpingtons, but here are my predictions.....

pullet
cockerel
cockerel
pullet
pullet
cockerel
cockerel

Wing sexing only works with specific crosses, not purebred birds.

Back
Top Bottom