Comb, wattles, and hair. Polish sexing ?'s.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luvmychicknkids, Apr 14, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Figuring out the gender on the little Polish is gonna drive me insane. They are about 9 weeks old now. At first I thought Violet was female (big, rounded, full pouf of hair) and Isadora was Male (pouf narrow in the front, long in back). However, now, Isadora's hair is a bit more rounded like Violets (though still not as much) and BOTH have rather large wattles. You can see in the pic how different they are shaped, though. One hangs down and one is longer and closer to the face. NEITHER have any comb at all. Not even a little nub. Now, if I am not mistaken, they have a V comb, right? I also have La Fleche the same age (hatched the same day). My one roo has a rather large and impressive looking comb for a baby. I know they are a completely different breed, but if they have the same comb type shouldn't it be similar? I am posting pics of both. Sorry for the low quality, I cropped out the important parts. [​IMG] Oh, and I know their combs aren't just hiding in their hair. I held them and dug all through it looking for some sign of a comb and there is none.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    With the last two Polish I had (you might remember the zillion posts I made her about their sexes lol) the splash Polish had wattles and a comb from an early age but a rounded crest. He was a crowing roo after a few months. The white crested black had an iffy crest, no comb, and red wattles like your wcb do. One day out of the blue he had red streaks where the comb should be, then in a few days a comb popped up.

I would guess both of those Polish are roosters based on the wattles, especially that one on the right. I have a white Polish right now who is about 10 weeks old, and she has not a sign of comb or wattles. My Crevecoeur (always spell that wrong...) pullet is about 20 weeks old and also has no comb and no wattles at all. (They look a lot like the Polish, that's why I'm comparing.) I also have a 10 week old Crevecoeur chick that has tiny wattles with a little pink, a pullet-y crest, and no comb...not sure what's going on there because the wattles don't seem to be growing or reddening further...

Crested birds are mysterious to sex at first, but they are my favorite kind of chicken!

3. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    I agree with Andora. I'm leaning towards both being roos, but the one with the comb and bigger wattles is definitely a roo.

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    The one on the right is the one I have always thought was a boy, so I am not surprised by her being male but not Violet too!!! [​IMG] My son is going to be so disappointed if they are both boys because there is no way we can keep both of them. I was going to be stretching it to keep one. [​IMG]

Oh, and neither have a comb at all, Tubby, just wattles. That is why I was so confused by the wattles. I can't even find a tiny bump of a comb anywhere. The bottom pic is my La Fleche boy showing how large his comb is at the exact same age.

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i don't know but that first pics is truly a Vogue cover!

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I know....aren't they so adorable!!! I am really loving them, I dread thinking I may have to get rid of them. [​IMG]

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:i hope they aren't both roosters [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] you need these beauties!!!!

8. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:I could be wrong about the other...I've never seen a Polish pullet with wattles at 9 weeks, but the wattles on the other scream roo! I don't think there is much point in analyzing their crests at this point. I analyzed mine to death and so many people told me she was a roo but she wasn't. I now have a young buff laced in my brooder that I am almost certain is a roo...no wattles yet but tiny little flesh colored comb bumps *sigh*. I think he's about 7-8 weeks old. I also had another Buff laced pullet who acted just like a roo and had a very messy rooish crest...but she was also indeed a girl! and I've had a splash cockerel with a perfectly rounded crest that was quite the little roo.

Cresteds are so hard to sex! If I HAD to make a call I would still say they are both roos...but I *hope* the other isn't. Have you pulled their crests back to see if they have a comb? Sometimes those little bumps are well hidden by their lovely bouffant.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL...yeah, I picked their little hair-do's apart til they were about to have me strangled and there was nothing. I was expecting a comb hidden on both because yeah, those wattles don't look good. [​IMG] These are my very first crested birds and I can't believe how hard this is! I ALWAYS have mine sexed way before now.

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

One of the things with Crested fowl. Crest sexing is misleading and confusing. I'm really hoping for you that you will get lucky. [​IMG] Even just a little. But I would bare in mind that the likelyhood is not good. [​IMG] This is not one of the things I look forward to when I have Polish chicks. Even sexed ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by