1. Southern Ann

Southern Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    I bought a rooster yesterday and he has little black scabs on his comb and he has a hole about the size of a point of a pencil also. I have to show him in May and need help healing his comb. Any ideas of what to put on the comb? Also I homemade remedy to make feathers heal?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you rooster has/had fowl pox, some iodine applied with a Q-tip may speed the healing process.

Feathers healing from what? molt? -- being damaged. In anycase, get a good feed for him with a good protein content such as 20%. When I added 'poultry cell' by rooster booster to water one of my males got very glossy feathers there after.

Giving him a bath with something like adam's flea soap for dogs may also improve his appearance.

3. Southern Ann

Southern Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    It's not fowl pox it's from the chickens he use to live with. I've put some medicine to heal the scabs but there's a pretty big hole through the middle of the comb. Does a comb heal like human skin? Also when I mean damaged feathers as in other chickens broke some of them. I have him on hight protein food, just wondering if there any thing faster. Thank you!

[​IMG]

@ChicKat

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by