Comb?

Herweyer 5

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 15, 2014
Is it okay if one of my chickens has a little white on the top of its comb? Wondering what its from or if it is bad, thanks

Last edited:
I just noticed the same thing on my rooster. The comb looks normal, except the tips of the points are all white now.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sometimes there is a lack of melanin in the tips of the comb that causes them to appear white. As long as the chickens don't act ill, and the tips of their combs don't turn black (a sign of frostbite), I wouldn't be concerned about it. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens
wink.png
!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

welcome-byc.gif

I agree with what @Michael OShay said!!!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like the beginnings of frost bite. Make sure you have adequate ventilation in your coop. 1 square foot per bird in the eaves or ceiling. Have the birds roost low to the floor and not in the rafters. You can use some bagbalm in the comb to help heal and protect the comb. Vaseline will work in a pinch but is not all that good at protecting or healing.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

The white can be several things: lack of pigment, minor frostbite, or dry skin on the comb. A photo would help show us what you're dealing with.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Could you post a photo? Sometimes, my birds' combs get a little dry and the dry skin appears white. Whiteness can also be caused by frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom