Combine, cull and move ll at once?

SlyReb

Chirping
Jun 25, 2019
I know chickens don’t like change but I have three changes to make: 1) remove rooster from flock of 6 3-month olds, 2) remove non-laying hen from flock of 3 2-year-olds, 3) Combined the flocks, and 4) reconfigure their housing.

Should I do these things separately in a particular order, or all at once because change is change and once is better than four times?

I generally do things when it is convenient for me. Chickens don't like change but they are adaptable. They will get over it. And darn it, I'm important too.

I'm not sure what is involved in combining the flocks, but in general I would try to do as much of that at the same time as I could. Just get it over with for them and you.

Are you going to slaughter both the 'removed' birds?
If so, I'd do that at the same time.
How do you know the one bird is not laying?

Have the old and new birds been living next to each other to begin the integration process? What's your plan for integration? Do you free range at all?

What does "reconfigure their housing" mean exactly?

Are you going to slaughter both the 'removed' birds?
If so, I'd do that at the same time.
How do you know the one bird is not laying?

Have the old and new birds been living next to each other to begin the integration process? What's your plan for integration? Do you free range at all?

What does "reconfigure their housing" mean exactly?

Selling them to locals.
My three layers lay distinct eggs.
I free range them but they rarely intermingle due to the rooster.
I have two chicken tractors and a connecting run. I will put them next to each other for a week or so with a screen between them, and open the door after that.

Yep get the discombobulating all over at once. Really culling a bird from my flock seldom adds much stress. Maybe a day or two, combining two flocks will cause a bit more stress, but mixing it all up, should keep from a single bird getting all of the attacks.

Back
Top Bottom