Combined my girls

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jtbrown, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I just integrated my two flocks this week. So happy. Started with 44 birds, 10 boys, 34 girls. 25 EE and the rest brahma and production reds and bantum mix. I took the boys on a trip and they came home on ice.

So I took that chance of two flocks disrupted and allowed hallway between 2 flocks to stay open. The girls were quite enamored with new feeding stations and nest boxes. Only a few squaks of displeasure and they are sharing coops and runs. Everyone goes back to their side to sleep at night. This gives more room to the more crowded (not overcrowded) side of the coop and more run space for both. finding eggs in nest boxes that belong to girls from the other coop, so I know they are hanging out together.

I wanted to do this so I could use one side of coop for new birds in spring. I think it is going to work, initially they both have more space to occupy this winter. The hall has added 32 more sq foot of space for them to stretch out in. Had to share, so far so good. I think it would have been a mess with the boys around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by