Combining 2 "flocks"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PoultryGirly, Jan 26, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi. I have a "flock" of 3 hens and another "flock" of 2 hens and a rooster. I just gave away my other 2 roosters today, so I want to combine them. One flock that consists only of hens now, is going to be a year in March and the others are going to be a year in June. Thanks for any help. (I don't have any other coops or pens to just let them "see" each other...)

2. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Have they been together before? If they have, then they will probably be fine. If they haven't been with each other before, I don't think it will work out.

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I started with 3 hens and a rooster...then I got a hen and 7 chicks...then I got a silkie rooster...introducing the new rooster was difficult but only for a few minutes

4. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I don't see all the big fuss with adding new chickens. I just put the new chickens in a crate in the coop for a few days and then I open the door and everyone mingles

5. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I don't see all the big fuss with adding new chickens. I just put the new chickens in a crate in the coop for a few days and then I open the door and everyone mingles

6. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Okay. I'm going to let then interact this morning, but if I see anything other than them establishing the pecking order, I'm going to separate them and try again. They have seen each other before between the pen, but haven't really been "together" before. What she I see as normal behavior and "not normal" behavior in them?

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Let them scrap it out. Additionally, move things around in coop so no body has home court advantage. Only be concerned if some gets knocked down and pecked even when on ground.

Many problems realized because we over manage when flocks combined. If you had game chickens in mix I would be more concerned.

8. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    So the flock with rooster and two hens are in the pen, but the flock of three girls are in the coop. The door is open so they can go anywhere (pen or coop), but they are choosing to stay separated for now. No one is chasing anyone or anything. 2 hens went out to meet the others. There was no fighting or anything, just a stare down. One hen, though, got pecked on her comb (I don't know by who) and it bled a little, I wiped it off, bled a little more, wiped it off again and it has stopped. I didn't want to separate her because it wasn't really necessary and they might not accept her back. I guess they'll just have to sort it out.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    When the two flocks come together listen closely, you will be able to hear sounds dominant flock makes to say get away.

10. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    So tonight we put the other 3 chickens (2 hens and a rooster) into the coop with the others. I hope everything goes well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by