Combining a flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HappiFeet, Oct 23, 2013.

1. HappiFeet

HappiFeet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Sweet Lips, TN
    I have a pair of RIRs that I've been keeping in a ground cage to protect the roo since spring. He was initially pecked almost to death by the hens so that I couldn't even tell he was a roo until I isolated him and his feathers finally came in. With winter coming in, I want to be able to give him the protection of a coop, but if I let him loose with the others to go in the henhouse, I'm afraid they will peck him. Is there any way to give him better accommodations and still keep him safe from the (much larger) Auracana roo, or do I just integrate them and hope for the best?

2. riyadh123

riyadh123 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    how old?

3. HappiFeet

HappiFeet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Sweet Lips, TN
    Seven months old.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    At seven months he should be old enough to get away from the hens or stand up to them. If you are free ranging them let them out during those times so they can work out who is who while the cockerel still sleeps separate. If it goes well for a week or two, then put them in the coop. It really is the rooster I would watch at this point. He might not accept the cockerel in his flock. Still if there is room, they might work it out. Definitely watch when you allow them together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by