Combining chicks from different breeders?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LuvinMyPeeps, Nov 4, 2008.

1. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Ok - got a question for you "eggsperts" out there....

I've learned that you should quarantine chickens before combining into your flock - what about chicks? Can you combine chicks if you already have some with other chicks from different breeders (no grown ups, just chicks) right away, or do you also have to wait?

[​IMG] Thanks!!

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Yes, quarantine chicks from different breeders. I would seperate for 6-8 weeks.

Did you not read about the problems with McMurray this year? They shipped thousands of chicks that had a deadly virus.

This type of thing could happen to even small breeders and there are a few diseases that can pass through the egg.

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't even know that.. thanks from me too! [​IMG]

4. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    pips&peeps :

Yes, quarantine chicks from different breeders. I would seperate for 6-8 weeks.

Did you not read about the problems with McMurray this year? They shipped thousands of chicks that had a deadly virus.

This type of thing could happen to even small breeders and there are a few diseases that can pass through the egg.

No, I didn't. I'm fairly new, so I guess I didn't keep up on all the chicken news :)

Thanks for this - I'm glad I asked. I knew you guys would know!! [​IMG]

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Pips&Peeps, thanks for that bit of info. I did not hear bout McMurray doing that though I did not order any chicks it's still nice to know.

6. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Wow, I guess even the big Hatcherys can make mistakes...that is awful [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by