Combining chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lacy111693, Jan 29, 2016.

1. lacy111693

lacy111693 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    Hey all! So I got 3 welsummers Sunday and decided to get some buff orps and EE's today. One of the Wellies seems to be picking on the new younger chicks. (They are less than a week apart in age) She grabs their wings and pulls relatively hard and the poor little things start screaming while she is dragging them by the wing. Do I need to separate them??? [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You could try a wire divider for a day or so, that happens sometimes, I've even had some in the same batch do that, it can help to lower the heat a bit too, sometimes being too hot will cause aggressive behavior.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There is also behavior modification. Chicks learn incredibly fast if you discipline it when it is engaging in the bad behavior.

I've had very good results by simply poking an offending chick on the back with my finger each time I see it go after another chick.

Try it. It works amazingly well. Just be careful not to poke so hard you knock the chick off its feet.

If these chicks are under four weeks old, they usually integrate very quickly when you introduce others in the same age range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by