combining ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HSerChickLady, Mar 8, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    There is a batch of Pekins at our local TSC that have been sitting there for 2 weeks and i feel so bad for them being all crammed in their tank without homes. They've offered to cut the price on them even more than what they're currently marked at if we'll take some of them. I do have the means to care for them but i also have 10 more ducklings of various breeds arriving in late April. Do you think it would be reasonable to expect that they could all live together peacefully even with the age differences? I'd probably keep the Pekins in a temporary enclosure until everyone is ready to go into the coop so that there wouldn't be any territorial disputes from some of them already being established in the soon to be built coop and run. If we get these Pekins we'd only be getting the state minimum of 6. The other breeds i have comming are Mallards, Cayugas, and Blue Swedish, in case that has any bearing on whether this will work or not? Thanks for the help!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    In the long run yes it will. However, when brooding it will not be safe to have such an age difference in the brooders.

3. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    OK, good. And i know not to brood them together. The Pekins would be outside in temporary housing before the batch of littles arrives.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by