Combining Flocks - Get rid of excess roosters first or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by echip, Aug 30, 2010.

1. echip

echip Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Here is the situation: I have two small flocks. One is a group of 5 calm sweet 4-month-old large size girls, 2 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Delawares and one BO. The other flock is 17 7-week-old Bantam EE's. The big girls have their own house; the little bantams have their own house too.

My hope is that they will eventually share their large run. Yet each one will have their own home and their own nest boxes and their own food and water.

At the moment the run is divided in two with chicken wire. The big and little ones can see each other but not yet be with each other. They seem mostly uninterested in each other, except during treat time. Then each group looks to see what the other one is getting.

My plan is to integrate the flocks when the little ones stop peeping like the babies they are. Some here have said to combine flocks when they are all close to the same size, but that will never happen since the younger ones are bantams. How long do you think I should wait? The older girls are not yet laying eggs. Does that matter? Will they be crabbier after they become "women"?

On integration day I plan to have plenty of hidey holes for the little ones, just in case, and lots of treats spread out all over the run for distraction. Here is my question. Of the 17 straight run EE bantams, 10 are boys. I don't plan to keep the boys as we are not supposed to have roosters. However, should I hang onto them until I combine flocks to give the little ones a bigger number to counteract the pecking of the bigger girls? If I get rid of the boys, the little ones will be seven to five, so they will still have a slight numbers advantage. Is that enough of an advantage? Will leaving the ten little roosters in the mix make things WORSE because of their agression? A couple of the little EE roo stinkers have fake threatened the big girls though the chicken wire.

I would appreciate any advice.

2. echip

echip Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of my two flocks looking at each other through the chicken wire. And yes, that's a BO large roo, but he is gone now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by