Combining flocks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gilpinguy, Apr 16, 2016.

1. gilpinguy

gilpinguy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Gilpin County, Colorado
    I have 3 coturnix in one cage: 2 hens, 1 roo, all from the same hatch. The hens are not laying at all, and I think maybe the roo is stressing the hens too much.

I have other cages with 6 birds in each: 5 hens and 1 roo. These are from different hatches.

I thought it might be good to take one hen out of each cage with 6 birds and put them in with the cage with only 3 birds so the hens wouldn't be so stressed.

But will they all get along or am I asking for trouble here?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    So if my math is right you have 7 hens and 2 roosters?You should be able to put them all in 1 cage as long as none of them have been in this cage.It has to be neutral grounds for everyone and they should get along okay.I would suggest a cage at least 3'x6' for all 9 birds minimum,bigger is always better.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. gilpinguy

gilpinguy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Gilpin County, Colorado
    Sorry for the confusion. I actually have 4 cages. Three of them have 5 hens and one roo. The other cage has 2 hens and one roo.

I was thinking of taking one hen from each of the 3 cages and putting them in with the 2 hens. That way the 2 birds that aren't laying get some rest and start laying.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If you take 1 hen from each cage and add them to the cage with 2 hens,your best bet is to move them all around so no one is in a cage that he/she has been in.If you add 3 hens to an existing cage of birds you may have problems.So move all birds so everyone is on neutral grounds.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by