Combining Hatches?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TomOBedlam, Jan 11, 2008.

1. TomOBedlam

TomOBedlam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    Colbert, GA
    So my six silkies are nearly three weeks old, and look so big next to the new hatch that just came in the mail!

I now have 18 two/three day old standards, and 6 almost three week old silkies.

When is a good time to try to combine them into the big brooder? I know I should wait until the new babies are out of the paper towel days, but then what? I'd like them all to be together as soon as possible, so they can get used to each other and be housed together as adults (not to mention giving me only one brooder to clean and provision) but I also want to make sure they don't pick on each other.

Advice please?

And thanks again, so much, for helping an excited newb out!!![​IMG]

2. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Sence silkies are smaller then standars, they would be about the same size right now. So you could put them together rught now if you probly wanted to I dont see any possible problems.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I usually put together chicks with up to a month old age difference, but wait till the fresh out of the bators are at least a week old just to make sure they can do the food, water, and first few days of sleep thing.

4. TomOBedlam

TomOBedlam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    Colbert, GA
    Ok, that was about what I was thinking. The silkies just look so BIG next to the tiny puffballs...[​IMG]

The tiny ones are doing great, though...took to the feeders like champs and seem to be sleeping, eating, and pooping just like real chickens! hehe

I think I might try to move them in another day or two, when I'm really sure they've adjusted and also won't eat the shavings. They're in a divided brooder right now, and they're all obviously curious about those funny noises on the other side of the wall [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by