Combining hens???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtn_penny, Aug 16, 2010.

1. mtn_penny

mtn_penny Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    I took the advice of many on here to add these 5 hens to my main flock at night after they go to roost. That was 2 days ago. The first morning there had be a squabble as 2 of the hens had peck marks on their heads. I doctored them with some Peck No More by Rooster Booster. This morning again one has been pecked so I put some more stuff on her. Now this afternoon when I gathered eggs she is still getting pecked.

They have plenty of space.... 19 hens in a 10 x 10 coop with a 10 x 10 flight area. The main flock ages about 16 months old and the new ones are 6 months.

So what should I be doing to help everyone get along? I really want them all in the same coop since the younger ones are just starting to lay.

HELP!!!

thanks
    mtnpenny

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    How many do you have in the main flock?

You can try putting a wire fence in the run and letting them see each other for a few days and then let them be together.

They will peck the new chickens to establish a new pecking order, as long as it doesn't get out of hand the new hens will be fine.

3. mtn_penny

May 19, 2009
    There are 14 in the older flock with the 5 younger ones. They have been in a adjacent coop where they could see and smell each other.
    I knew there would be some squabbles over pecking order (no pun intended). So do I just keep putting the peck no more on her? or is there something else that works better?

4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    It sounds like you are doing everything properly.

You can try putting one are two of the main flock hens with the new hens so that they establish a pecking order with the new ones on top, and then add one more main hen a day until they are all together. I do that if I have an uneven amount of new hens to old hens.

5. mtn_penny

May 19, 2009
    That is a good idea. I think I will give it a couple more days and then if we are still having issues I will try and figure out how to seperate to combine a few at a time.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I introduced one (not the best number!) to a flock of four. At first they would run her down and stomp on her. I put her in a wire dog kennel for a few days during the day (at night they let her roost with them). I put some extra things in the pen so she could get up off the ground away from them with water and food up for her. The other day after a couple weeks I noticed she was on the ground in the middle of them eating and scratching. I had just given up and decide to build her her own space.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by