Combining in coop question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, May 1, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    We're relatively new at raising chickens so I have a stupid question...We have 16 chickens that we ordered and raised together in one coop. We just built another and I was going to order a new batch of chicks but my cousin is giving me an incubator.

If I order some chicks now (types that we don't already have), then hatch some from our other coop, can I safely combine all the youngsters in one coop? There could be a two month age difference.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cindy

2. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Quote:Bigger chicks may peck on the smaller ones. If they are the same size it is okay, if not it would be best to seperate them.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Can you ever put them together? Like when they are all the same size? Or are they territorial and will the ones that were in the coop originally go after the new arrivals?

I have two big dog crates, each with 3 bantams too. I accidentally got the two crates close together one day while cleaning and one of the hens drew blood from one in the other crate just that fast. I did have them all loose together in the garage one day after that and they got along fine. Just not sure how to plan...thanks

4. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Quote:Once everyone is the same size you can combine them. They will still have to settle the pecking order but generally this is done within a couple of days. Maybe you should leave the 2 cages close but not so they can actually reach each other for several days. Then slowly bring them together so the 2 cages are touching. Then you should be able to combine the flocks. If one group feels crowded that maybe why they lashed out so. Maybe it is time to give them room to spread their wings.[​IMG]

5. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    We were up against the same problem. So we moved the smaller ones into a small pen inside the coop so they could get use to seeing each others. Then after about 2 weeks we introduced them (we watched and protected them from the hens who are at present top of the pecking order.) And at bed time we would put the little ones back in their pen. We did this for about a week. Then we let them learn the peaking order routine. The big ones would peck at the little ones. But this was just to let them know they are the boss. All is well,[​IMG] even though we did worry. We also left a couple of things in the coop for the little ones to run behind when the big ones were showing out. P.S. our chicks are 4 weeks apart in age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by