combining new chicks with two week older chicks

Cluckatar

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Vashon, WA
I have too many sets of chicks at the moment, and I've needed to move and combine groups. The older group of 7 is 6.5 weeks old. Then 3 chicks are 4.5 weeks old. They spent two weeks together in dog crates right next to each other in our shop. I moved a few of the older ones into the smaller group a few times and they did really well, spent the night there, etc.

Then I had a broody hen who needed to be moved into the shop (we gave her two chicks, she is doing great). I took the 6.5 week group outside, and gave them an eglu coop with long run in the field. The main flock is free ranging around them and has another coop nearby. That was two days ago, they have done really well. Last night, not wanting to lose ground on integrating the two groups, and because they have outgrown their space, I put the 3 chicks out with them after they'd gone to sleep. They snuggled right in.

This morning, the younger chicks are huddled in the coop and won't go outside and are crying. I pushed them outside so they had access to food and water. The older chicks are pecking them periodically and being bullies. They are huddled in a corner :( Meanwhile the adult hens are wandering around the outside, calming watching. A few of them are staying close to the littles, but they don't have access.

Do I wait this out, and hope for a happy group soon? I'm feeling almost certain I will have to catch them and put them back in the coop tonight, no way the older chicks will let them go in the door. Sigh.

This morning, the younger chicks are huddled in the coop and won't go outside and are crying.
Depending on your climate, they might still need a heat source and at least their own feeder and water dispenser.
Maybe you could set up a space for them where the big bullies can't reach them, something with a way through where only the little ones fit.

A few hours later, their huddle group has switched sides in the run, they are now next to the feeder, the others are lounging under the coop. Temp is about 48 out. They aren't crying anymore, but I would not call the settled. I added more snacks on the ground but the others are so stuffed they aren't bothering. Hopefully this will get everyone to a more comfortable state. It's colder today than I had counted on, but I don't think they are too cold. They have been without heat in the shop for awhile. The mobile coop is open and quite warm inside. It's always a big step for chicks to figure out how to go up the first time.

Second day outside going slightly better. Still getting pecked and chased, but they are managing it really well. It makes me less and less interested in keeping the older chicks, several of them were already mentally tagged to be sold. And those roosters are going to get less effort to find them a re-home instead of an eat em home at this point.

Monday morning and the baby chicks made their own way outside to the run along with the bigger chicks. I think they have found a place in the flock. I've seen them strategically running up under the biggest probably roo in the group. He doesn't peck at them, and standing close enough deters the others. Fingers crossed. We still had to catch them and put them to bed last night. When they go up on their own I will feel like it's worked.

Monday morning and the baby chicks made their own way outside to the run along with the bigger chicks. I think they have found a place in the flock. I've seen them strategically running up under the biggest probably roo in the group. He doesn't peck at them, and standing close enough deters the others. Fingers crossed. We still had to catch them and put them to bed last night. When they go up on their own I will feel like it's worked.
That is your keeper. I have a gangly juvenile that protects any chicks that get near him. He even saved the lives of my chicks when they got lost in the run. We found him huddled on the ground, shivering from the cold with the chicks tucked underneath him. If that is a roo, you have rooster gold there. Awesome news on the integration!!!

Back
Top Bottom