Combining new hatched chicks with chicks a couple weeks older

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gimmie birdies, Jun 11, 2019.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Just wanted to give tips of combining slightly older chicks, with newly hatched chicks. I have done this successfully in the past, and thought I would share my experience. ,6g.PNG
    Above is my most recent example. The little yellow chick (Daisy)to the left, under the red one is almost 2 weeks behind the others. When she hatched, I waited until she was fluffed and dry and scooting about. Then I took her and put her in her own brooder. I had a separate brooder with the 2 week old chicks and chose 2 that were the calmest. I had her in with them for 3 days and when she was running and hopping and eating, I combined brooders. She had learned not to be afraid, and the other chicks accepted her right away.

Below is a newly hatched chick raised with 3 week olds, now I did this differently... egg 5089.jpg The new hatched chick above with a 3 week old. I introduced 3 older chicks with the new chick, I put them together in the dark one at a time. They snuggled and talked to each other, then all became friends, after a day or so.

When introducing, be sure there is always good supervision. Good luck blending!

Cyprus and azygous like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: