Combining one or two chicks from different flocks?

Angelight

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
HI! I'm new to owning chickens and live in a subdivision. I have an appointment with a local breeder today to get my first chicks. They're about 3 weeks old. I am limited to 4 or 5 chickens, and that is pushing it. Since I want several different breeds, am limited to my flock size, and can't have a rooster, I'm wanting to pick up a chick or two from a couple of different people locally. All of them are around 3 weeks to 2 months old. Is this wise/possible? Can I take a chick or two from a couple of different people and put them together in our brooder at the same time? Am hoping that if I get them all today then they can be separated in boxes until I introduce them into the brooder at the same time so it is new for all, no one can stake claim, and hoping to avoid any bullying. Advice? Recommendations? Thanks so much! : )

HI!  I'm new to owning chickens and live in a subdivision.  I have an appointment with a local breeder today to get my first chicks.  They're about 3 weeks old.  I am limited to 4 or 5 chickens, and that is pushing it.  Since I want several different breeds, am limited to my flock size, and can't have a rooster, I'm wanting to pick up a chick or two from a couple of different people locally.  All of them are around 3 weeks to 2 months old.  Is this wise/possible?  Can I take a chick or two from a couple of different people and put them together in our brooder at the same time?  Am hoping that if I get them all today then they can be separated in boxes until I introduce them into the brooder at the same time so it is new for all, no one can stake claim, and hoping to avoid any bullying.  Advice?  Recommendations?  Thanks so much!  : )
no))))) Chickens of different ages will not work, you have to integrate and that takes time and patience. The older birds will peck the chicks to death. It will take those chicks becoming much older and then adding them to the yard where there is lots of space for the chicks to escape. Integrating any chickens, being older to younger takes patience. Never put tem all in the coop together unless your coop has a safe zone for the chicks divided !

That's what I had guessed. I'd hoped that if they were all with in a week or so that it would be okay but decided to just get 3 from one hatching.

What I have done in the past and will be doing in April is adding pullets but first I separate them from my flock for a month in there own erea until I deem it's safe to start integrating. Then I put the girls in the yard, both pullets and. My flock, and watch and allow integration, it takes time, there is a pecking order big time. Soon I add the pullets into the pen behind a fence I make from hard wire. Put in a large carrier or igloo for them to sleep in and food and let them see each other through the fence. Slowly allowing them out from the pen together each day. It takes time but they all do well once together. never put new chicks or pullets or chickens from different flocks together with out quarantining them first. The new or different birds can be sick and you not know it. This will wipe out all your birds ! This has happened to a lot of people and killed there entire flock :( that's why my new birds go into there own little coop or dog house and small pen for at least 1 month before I begin to integrate :) have fun with your new babies!

really if this is your first experience with chickens, don't make it more complicated. As you get more experience, then try some of the more complicated integrations.

If you are just getting started, flock mates will do best, they are used to each other, they have been exposed to the same germs, and moving them to a new home is enough stress already without making it worse.

There are lots of things to test out and learn, is your coup strong enough, do you have enough space, is there predators that you didn't expect, do you have enough protection. ect.

Start out easy, and then try the more complicated. Different breeds are fun, and a lot of people have them, so you might be able to get different chicks together.

MrsK

really if this is your first experience with chickens, don't make it more complicated. As you get more experience, then try some of the more complicated integrations.

If you are just getting started, flock mates will do best, they are used to each other, they have been exposed to the same germs, and moving them to a new home is enough stress already without making it worse.

There are lots of things to test out and learn, is your coup strong enough, do you have enough space, is there predators that you didn't expect, do you have enough protection. ect.

Start out easy, and then try the more complicated. Different breeds are fun, and a lot of people have them, so you might be able to get different chicks together.

MrsK
X2

Yep I started out with five girls from the same breeder. They were great the first year, I added later and learned through the year the best methods and studied up on all things chickens lol.

Logically, I knew that was the answer. Was just HOPING. LOL! So far my 3 seem to be adjusting. : ) Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom