Combining two flocks? Help!

Caitmw

Hatching
Jul 29, 2020
SW Ontario
Hi everyone!
We recently introduced our 11 week old birds to our main flock. We did a lot of reading beforehand, and thought we had done everything "correctly". It's been 5 days and from what we can tell we now have two separate flocks occupying the same coop/run??? 🤦‍♀️

The original flock includes one Roo and 6 hens, all bantam Cochins. The newbies are one Silkie cockerel, one Silkie hen and one Cochin hen.

The original flock is definitely harassing the newbies, and blocking them from food, so we have added extra feeding stations. The Rooster has taken a few runs at the Silkie cockerel, but he's super wimpy and just runs away.

What I'm wondering is will the two flocks eventually combine?? How long does the integration process last? This is the first time we've tried adding birds, and I've got another 7 chicks to integrate later this fall!! Eek!

I have two groups of chicks that I put together 4 weeks ago. There is a 2 week age difference. Right now they are 9 and 7 weeks). They occupy the same run and a crate inside the coop. The big hens have the rest of the coop and part of the run. They still keep mostly to their own "cliques". It is mostly just 2 of the older chicks that chase the younger ones away. It will be interesting to see what happens when I combine them with the 3 hens.

What I'm wondering is will the two flocks eventually combine??
Usually not until the youngers start laying.

The males may eventually find peace or one may die.
Why do you need 2 males?
Getting rid of one will greatly reduce the stress of the situation.

This is the first time we've tried adding birds, and I've got another 7 chicks to integrate later this fall!!
Groan!!
I hope you've got lots of space in your coop and run!
I've found integrating early works best, if you get set up for it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Welcome to BYC! @Caitmw
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1596112039103.png

You have 10 now, and are adding 7 more.... how big is your set up, cause are nearly doubling your birds?

I think they will be one flock by February. And multiple roosters really make for multiple problems. If they get to fighting, would be best to remove one.

MRs K

Usually not until the youngers start laying.

The males may eventually find peace or one may die.
Why do you need 2 males?
Getting rid of one will greatly reduce the stress of the situation.

Groan!!
I hope you've got lots of space in your coop and run!
I've found integrating early works best, if you get set up for it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
Thank you for your reply. Our set up is large enough for 25 full size chickens, which we've had in the past, so I'm not worried about space. My assumption is that of the 7 chicks I've got several will be cockerels, and we will only be keeping the pullets, so we won't actually be adding 7 more. Regardless, we have the space.

We kept one of the Silkie males to try to ensure the one single Silkie hen wasn't targeted. I have several friends who keep two roosters, and said one is subordinate?

That set up is really interesting. I'm not sure we could pull it off, but we will definitely consider it. The new chicks are 5 weeks now, so could be good timing. Thank you!

Thank you for your reply. Our set up is large enough for 25 full size chickens, which we've had in the past, so I'm not worried about space. My assumption is that of the 7 chicks I've got several will be cockerels, and we will only be keeping the pullets, so we won't actually be adding 7 more. Regardless, we have the space.

We kept one of the Silkie males to try to ensure the one single Silkie hen wasn't targeted. I have several friends who keep two roosters, and said one is subordinate?

That set up is really interesting. I'm not sure we could pull it off, but we will definitely consider it. The new chicks are 5 weeks now, so could be good timing. Thank you!
Not sure a silkie roo will keep any other roo(s) off the silkie hen.
Sometimes multiple males work, sometimes they don't...be ready with Plan B.
Best of cLuck!

Back
Top Bottom