Combo question about breed and eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WA23, Sep 6, 2008.

1. WA23

WA23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    Is there such a thing as a white Austalorp? If so, what color egg will it lay?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I am not sure but I know the astrolorp was bred from the black orpinton. There are white orpintons. I believe they lay brown eggs Jean

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I've never heard of a white australorp (although I think it would be fairly easy to breed one compared to other colors and breeds). They would lay brown eggs like other australorps or Orpingtons. I am currently working on a project to breed more white Orpingtons, which are similar. Australorps originated from Black Orpington stock that was imported to Australia.

4. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    The reason I ask (in addition to me being new to the chicken world) was I bought a "white Australorp" a week ago (a four month old) from a guy who said they were a cross between a Black Australorp (brown eggs) and a White Leghorn (white eggs). A little searching on-line came up with nothing in regards to a White Aust. except for one small line about white not being a standard.

A funny thing about this bird. Considering the leghorns personality and the Australorps personality, it is the calmest, friendliest bird I have.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, if it is a known mix, I suppose you could call it the hybrid name of white australorp, but that doesn't make it a white australorp since it is a mix. Henderson's chart says that black is the only standard accepted, but that there are also blue and white australorps. I assume those are pure-bred australorps though, just with a different color.

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
  7. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    Quote:Thank PotterWatch. Its right there in plain sight. Not sure how I missed that the first time.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    All Austalorp's are excellent layers of medium brown eggs.

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If it's really an australorp crossed with a leghorn though, could it lay white eggs?

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think it could be possible. EE's lay colored eggs and maybe some could be off white.

There is no right or wrong way, just different ways. That's what make us all so unique.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by