Combs and wattles

Our Roost

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
ScottsVille, michigan
Purchased 25 hens of different breeds. Black sex links, jersey giants, barred rocks, buff orpingtons, and silver laced wyandottes. 5 of each. About 4 months old now. The combs and wattles are pretty prominant on some, but others dont seem to be developing quite as fast if at all. In fact I have a jersey giant and a barred rock that look and might be roos by the way their combs and wattles have developed. Cant tell at this point. I had planned on marketing about 10 of them for meat around october if they are fully developed. Most but not all are getting fat and sassy. They all get along well and have good temperments. I have 2 pekin ducks that are my watch dogs along with the jersey giant. Any sign of alarm and off to the coop they all run except for those 3 birds. Amazing! Are combs and wattles a feature on all birds or just some breeds? How fast do they develop and at what month should I expect full maturity of them?

Purchased 25 hens of different breeds. Black sex links, jersey giants, barred rocks, buff orpingtons, and silver laced wyandottes. 5 of each. About 4 months old now. The combs and wattles are pretty prominant on some, but others dont seem to be developing quite as fast if at all. In fact I have a jersey giant and a barred rock that look and might be roos by the way their combs and wattles have developed. Cant tell at this point. I had planned on marketing about 10 of them for meat around october if they are fully developed. Most but not all are getting fat and sassy. They all get along well and have good temperments. I have 2 pekin ducks that are my watch dogs along with the jersey giant. Any sign of alarm and off to the coop they all run except for those 3 birds. Amazing! Are combs and wattles a feature on all birds or just some breeds? How fast do they develop and at what month should I expect full maturity of them?
Combs and wattles develop and appear differently on the breeds you have listed.
Silver Laced Wyandotte have what is called a rose comb. It never gets large like a leghorn comb. Jersey Giants, Barred rocks and Buff Orpingtons have a single comb that will be not as large as a leghorn but more defined than a wyandotte.
Black sex links are a type of chicken that I am not familiar with.
At 4 months I think if there were cockerels in the batch they would be at least attempting to crow by now.

Might be able to market them as egg layers instead.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom