Combs: do you have pictures of different types?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eagleman, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Eagleman

Eagleman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    My 8 week old chickens are starting to look like they have different comb types. The only images I can find in books or online are drawings and are not real helpful yet.

Does anyone have good images of the variety of combs both at about 6-10 weeks and also full grown so I can get a better sense? Of my five chickens it looks like there are 2 or 3 different comb types but perhaps they are developing differently.
    They are Easter Eggers...
    I will try to post one or two of my own images but would appreciate any you could share!

2. Eagleman

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    Okay here is the one that is really stumping me! It is broad and almost flat...it doesn't seem to have the peas or ridges that the other have...could it just be developing differently? It is a bit pinker than the others, too.

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  3. Flyingbavarian

Flyingbavarian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
  4. Flyingbavarian

Flyingbavarian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
  5. Eagleman

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    Thanks!

6. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I tried posting something about this last week and as ALL my posts hardly nothing but it does have a link to another website. I really want to see some adult combs so I know what to look forward to. I have pics on there too of some of my birds combs.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72475

7. Eagleman

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    Thanks for the link, Smom!

How old are your chickens in the pictures? They look around the same age as mine and I have all the same questions!

Sometimes the combs look really pink and other times beige. Three look like pea combs and one looks like a single comb...the fifth is the one in the picture above: it is flat like I said with a little knob at the back...I am so curious as to how they will turn out.

Photographs are better than the illustrations in my mind.

Thanks again.

8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    they are going to be 11 weeks on friday..

I feel like when my kids were little and I would tell people week by week how old they are .. now it is just oh he is a year and a half.. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by