1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Combs have gone from red to pink

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by locoguru, Aug 9, 2013.

1. locoguru

locoguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Have 4 RSL that are 22 weeks, 3 of them laying eggs. Have 4 BA 19 weeks none laying. In the past week all their combs have gone from red to pink. Really just noticed today! The BA have just changed to red in the week previous and now have gone back to pink. All the RSL were red and now pink. Have changed from starter to layer 2 weeks ago when the 1st RSL started laying. Have added free oyster shells to run. Have also added DE to the dusting area in the run the past two weeks. Wondering if they are lacking something in their diet? Have not given them many worms or crickets lately. But did give them some cut up pork this morning. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chicken's combs change color all the time. When my birds are stressed out or active, their combs are bright red. When they are relaxed, their combs fade out to a pinkish-white. Also, has it been hot in your area? Heat can make their combs redder or pinker, depending on the bird.

I don't think that the feed has caused any difference. Worms could be a possiblity, but just a paler comb is not a very definitive. If the paleness continues, or you notice loss of weight, worms become a greater possiblity. A good wormer to use is Valbazen, or SafeGuard (for goats). These two dewormers will kill most worms, as will the product that I use, called the Worminator (http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584)).

3. locoguru

locoguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. The temp has actually gone down 20+ degrees in the past week. I did deworm them about 6 weeks ago to do it before they started laying just to make sure. I don't think they had worms, just thought it would be good to do it then. They all seems to be eating fine and laying fine. Just thought it odd that they all changed to pink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by