Combs on chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mary Of Exeter, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Maybe I'm just crazy, or maybe it's just been too long since I've taken a good look at a newly hatched chick...but do they normally pop out with a comb? I had a large mixed baby hatch out yesterday, moved him this morning, and the first thing I noticed was a lovely little single comb popping up. Perhaps I just don't pay that much attention because I know I won't be able to tell their sex by their comb until later on. I dunno [​IMG]

2. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    the do pop out with the comb [​IMG]

3. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    They always have a comb [​IMG] They are very tiny combs though when they first hatch [​IMG]

4. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yeah I thought I was just going crazy [​IMG] I guess the sun bleached my brain today, LOL.
    But anyways, here's some pictures anyways! [​IMG] S/He's such a cute little guy/girl. Any idea on what color he might be? S/He's already getting old! Notice the lovely random white 'hairs' on his/her back [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one BETTER be a girl! I haven't hatched many eggs from my sex-links (covered by a RIR/Sexlink mix roo, RJ)....but every one that I have....were boys! [​IMG]

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Looks a little big for a day old!

6. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Oh yes, when he popped out we were surprised. He's a big fluffy butt for sure. He was also the first to hatch. One bantam hatched the day after him, but the rest of the eggs (large and bantam) hatched today. I guess he was a bit cramped and decided he wanted out NOW! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by