Combs vs ready to lay????????????????????

murdeb

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Sebastian, FL
I have 2 buff orpingtons whose combs are just beginning to come in. Is that any indication as to when they will start laying? I'm not sure how old they are. They don't have their wattles either. Do both of these have to be fully developed before they start to lay?

A pullet squats or assumes a position to enable a rooster to breed her. It is a sign of sexual maturity. It often proceeds egg laying by a few weeks.
Not all pullets squat, however, and some never seem to. The reddening of the combs, face and wattles is another sign of sexual maturity.

Large bodied, slow developing breeds rarely lay well before 22-24 weeks of age. From hatch to regular egg laying is just about a half year.

Thanks! I guess I am just impatient! Will the first eggs be edible or is it better to wait until a few more are laid?

Quote:
You will know when you go to pick them up and they "squat" the 1st time my chicken did it, I went in accusing the kids of hurting the bird, lol I thought it was scared
lol.png
Thank God I figured it out. It makes them so much easier to catch once they start squatting also. The wings go up and the body goes down! Good Luck!!!

I understand the impatience. It's hard to wait for that first egg, and honestly, I still get excited every time one of our girls lays. We have 9 chickens, and 4 of them our laying. Of the 4, we have three different breeds: two Golden Comets, one "Cuckoo Maran" and one Cherry Egger. We have another Cherry Egger in the flock and her comb and wattles are bright red and huge and have been for at least one week. I think she is due any time now, but she hasn't squatted or "assumed" the position yet like the others layers did. What I have learned most from this site is that chickens have control, decide when and how frequently they will lay and what color and where their eggs will be! Keep your fingers crossed that you have accommodated their needs!

I have heard that their combs and waddles get bright red when they are ready to lay. I've also read that they are usually anywhere between 17-19 weeks of age. I'm new at this too, so i can't tell you from experience. Mine have not started to lay yet. I'm expecting them to in about 3 weeks.

Karen

Back
Top Bottom