combs & wattles (NEW AT THIS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kearstin17, May 15, 2012.

1. kearstin17

kearstin17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Grand junction
    At what age do combs turn red or even pink for pullets? and what age do pullets get wattles? I have 13 chicks between the ages of 2 weeks to 6 weeks and I am freaked out that they are all Roo's as a lot of them are getting pink combs or wattles coming in. All of them came from different pullet bins but from the same store.

Here are the breeds I have incase you need to know

Silver laced wyandotte
    Australorp
    Ameraucana
    White Leghorn
    Light Brahma
    Partrige Rock
    Ancona
    Buff Orpington
    Rhode Island red
    Speckled Sussex

Please help me out if you know anything about sexing any of the breeds above or when your pullet or roo started getting wattles or pink or red comb.

2. akashia26

akashia26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Washington Co. AL
    SLW's the roos tend to have more white on them than hens when hatched. not always true but if the chick hatched with white wings it is more likely to be male. these signs are not always right, so don't despair.

3. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    My 8 1/2 week old Buff Orpington hen only started turing pink and getting waddles around a week ago. My Mille Fleur Roo started getting his red comb at 5 weeks or so and now at 8 1/2 weeks it is huge and bright. My SLW is only 4 weeks so no answer for you there. My Easter Egger (Amerecauna) had waddles around 5 weeks old, and a flesh toned comb until about 3 days ago when her comb started pinkening up a little. I have a Barred Rock but its still only 4 weeks old.

4. crchickens

crchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Blue Ridge, TX
    And for what it is worth, mine all developed a little differently, even the same breed. At 13 weeks old, I am pretty confident they are all hens, at this point, but I did worry a little when one of my barred rocks developed faster then the others.

5. downsm75

downsm75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Louisville Ky
    I'm having the same issue with mine. A friend raises chickens and said even with red/pink combs and wattles, that 4 of 5 of mine are pullets. Their feathers are rounded rather than pointed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by