Combs/wattles viz. Pecking order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Oct 7, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    My girls have a very well defined pecking order that has been established for some time. I noticed something the other day that is so odd though. I noticed that the size of their combs and wattles is exactly proportionate to their place in the pecking order. The pecking order was clear long before I noticed the link with their comb and wattles. This may be just a funny coincidence but I wonder if anyone has noticed this.

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have noticed it. And our three EE's are at the very bottom of the pecking order.

3. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    I have noticed this also, it took me a little while to realize it too. It is kinda strange, lol.

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Well, this is very interesting! I know in certain species size matters. For instance, in the case of elk, moose, deer, the size of their rack is comensurate with their dominance.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    In my flock Big Sister is the boss. Her comb is small but she has an ugly face. While she's not aggressive she will not back down when challenged.

[​IMG]

Little Sister is second in command. She bosses the others but will avoid Big Sister who is her sibling.

[​IMG]

Askew worked her way to number 3 position and dominates lap time.

[​IMG]

Cardboard Chicken is possibly number four and she's the largest hen. She will challenge Askew on occasion for lap privileges.

[​IMG]

Comb size and color does reveal the health of a chicken as the reddest, biggest combs are the stronger birds.

6. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    My top hen has only a middling comb. The bottom hen has the biggest red floppy thing going. In general comb size and color can indicate peck order, but my birds didn't get the memo [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by