Combs went from Dark bright Red to kind of peachy...

swimchick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 20, 2009
Florida
Our Pullets are due to lay eggs (crossing our fingers) any time now. We are watching them and observing any changes. The Rooster has been breeding with 3 pullets - two GLW hatched 5/15 and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock 7/20 hatching. The BPR had a really bright dark red like the roosters, comb but yesterday the coloring around her comb and her face was definately more peachy than red almost yellow for most of the day. The GLW rose combs were also definately lighter than they have been too. Our SLW pullet's one of them, rose comb has increased in size and is very very red but she is not the dominant pullet 7/20 hatching, Also the last SLW she is bigger than the other SLW but her comb is still pink and smallish. It was really cold and yesterday it was balmy and warm - The feed remains the same, whatever they eat when ranging - mostly greens, bugs and 15 % layer crumbles and my mom was advised to add some FRM cat food to help too. We also had a heck of a rain storm and they were all warm and dry in the coops but they seemed to enjoy ranging around in it.

Marissa

I can't say for sure, but from experience when my girls combs start to pale it usually means they are not ready for laying. Or, I have noticed it when they have laid an egg. Did you check the yard and surrounding areas for eggs? They may be going into a moult, even if it is just a short mini-moult. Just a thought.
wink.png
I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. Sounds like they are still young yet. If they seem otherwise healthy and active, they will lay when they are ready. Hopefully some others will add their two cents worth and help out a bit more with a less vague answer.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom