Combs

Mandied

Songster
Jul 24, 2022
Vincennes, Indiana
Ok out of my 6 babies my husband and I git last weekend 2 of the bantams are getting a comb. We can't have roosters where we live and we don't know what to do.

Ok out of my 6 babies my husband and I git last weekend 2 of the bantams are getting a comb. We can't have roosters where we live and we don't know what to do.
Some comb types can look larger than others and vary by breed, so may not always be an accurate indicator.

Where did they come from? What's their actual age now?

Unless they're vent sexed at hatchery, auto sexing, or sex linked, half of all chicks are usually cockerels. Many hatcheries won't gender id their bantams at all.

Can you post photos?

Be sure and include front shot of comb and side shot of wattles as those are the first to change color.

20220806_183340.jpg
20220806_183340.jpg
20220806_183346.jpg
20220806_183340.jpg
20220806_183340.jpg
20220806_183346.jpg
20220806_183340.jpg

Some comb types can look larger than others and vary by breed, so may not always be an accurate indicator.

Where did they come from? What's their actual age now?

Unless they're vent sexed at hatchery, auto sexing, or sex linked, half of all chicks are usually cockerels. Many hatcheries won't gender id their bantams at all.

Can you post photos?

Be sure and include front shot of comb and side shot of wattles as those are the first to change color.
They are bantams we got them at rural king. I'm think at least 3 weeks we got them 2 weeks ago today

They are bantams we got them at rural king.
Bantam is size not breed.

Those are straight combs. They are clean faced (no cheeks/beard). Do they also have clean legs and 4 toes? Lets see what color!

Wattles and combs don't really develop much at 3 weeks. Behavior like excessive chest bumping anytime action goes on in the brooder. Or excessive watching back when you watch it. But those aren't for sure ways to know or even guaranteed to happen at all.

I'm not sure which hatchery RK orders from.. sometimes that helps narrow down breed possibilities.
Are you sure they are 5 weeks old?
Can you post a pics of their bodies to see feathering?
My understanding is maybe 3 weeks old.

Body pics including legs/feet might help determine breed also.

Back
Top Bottom