Combs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alaskachick, Aug 18, 2010.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Can any one tell me how long is the average time span from when a chickens comb starts turning from pink to red? Does it go from pink to red in a week, month, etc? I have Light Brahmas with pea combs and they still are pink at 20 weeks. I am just curious to find
    out cuz I think I see a slight change in color and I am hoping this is going to be a sign that my chickens do know how to lay eggs, right now I am not so sure. Zero, Zip, Zelch so far. grrrrrr Im doing this [​IMG], but I want to do this![​IMG]

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I'm somewhat new and I don't have any Brahmas but I do know that it can take weeks for the comb and such to get red once you notice a change...(I know this sounds silly) on the other hand...I came out one day and said "Wow...my one EE all of a sudden was red"... So I guess it all depends. I know there's the reddening up and the squatting and the being noisy.

I have 4 of 8 hens laying so far. My leghorns were the first at 19 weeks and they got red like overnite and then started. My barred rock and australorp have been red for almost 2 wks and still nothing...my PR is red but I don't see signs she has started yet. (It's actually a waiting game to see which one the BR the Aussie or the PR that recently laid) and my white rock got somewhat red but started laying almost immediately.

I know it frustrating to wait... [​IMG]

I'm waiting to have my 2 EE's start laying and they are just sitting around taking it easy... darn chickens! [​IMG]

3. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Busymom, I appreciate your encouragement. God knows I need it. It seems that I have been waiting forever and everyone around me keeps asking me "are they laying yet?", and I have to dreadfully say "no, but soon" [​IMG] I am so glad to know that the redding of the combs can come anytime now. Thanks for responding, I really needed an answer on this one. I feel better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by