Combs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jodiea60, Oct 8, 2011.

1. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    I have 8 6wk old silkies and frizzles....They are popping out combs.....I know silkies have walnut combs....Only one seems to have what appears to be a walnut comb....turquios ears are showing...are the combs different on male and female???

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Nope, they should be the same. What are you seeing on the others??

3. jodiea60

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    the others appear to be just 1 thin ridge

4. jodiea60

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    I ordered from a hatchery in Wisconsin (where I live).....I ordered 5 silkies and 5 cochin bantams....The day they were to be shipped I got an email saying that They had a problem with the hatching of the cochins and wondered if I would take a sub of more silkies and frizzles.....I said that was fine....so got my chicks only 9 of them....REALLY!!! I am beginning to think that I ordered a straight run and someone else wanted only girls and I got the left overs....Only 1 has a walnut comb (so far) and one is definately a frizzle....beyond that I am wondering.....They also seem to have some big feet.....
    there is my spout

5. jodiea60

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    Had the babies out today and the one with the walnut comb also has wattles hanging down....Hens and Roos both have wattles??

6. oceanwidedesigns

oceanwidedesigns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Fresno County
    It really depends on the breed if both sexes have combs and wattles, feathers are the best indicators of sex I've learned. Even then, the sizes of the combs and wattles vary. My BAs are polar opposites in that department - one hen has a comb and wattles that could rival a roo's, and the other just has huge wattles.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they did send you straight run - even as it is they screwed up the order! My friend split an order a few months ago from a hatchery here in CA... they ordered just pullets, not straight run. Out of the eight that she received, only three were pullets. & even then they're still not sure on the remaining three!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by