combs

ShellP

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 21, 2012
Georgia
what's the best way to help develop nice combs? Are there foods that you can add that have the nutrients needed to enhance combs? i know tractor supply has some food that's supposed to help so, i'll check there in addition to any other suggestions.
thanks,
David

To my way of thinking, the best way to get chicks to develop good combs, is to breed from parents who have good combs..

To my way of thinking, the best way to get chicks to develop good combs, is to breed from parents who have good combs..

Bingo. Good combs come from good breeding. No matter what you feed a bird if the comb genetics are faulty you'll have faulty combs.

I'm guessing you're talking about redness, plumpness, etc rather than basic shape. Shape is genetic and you can't change what the bird is born with. But the comb is a good indicator of overall health and sexual maturity/fertility. Young birds develop redder, larger combs when the're reaching maturity. Roosters, if healthy, usually keep nice combs but may lose some sparkle during molting. My hens combs lose color and plumpness during molting, when they're broody or ill. So there's not really a feed that makes a pretty comb, but a healthy bird makes a nice comb. Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom