combs

4wets

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
I have 6 golden laced wyandottes; I thought one of them might be a coo in lieu of a pullet due to the comb was developing different. She is now laying eggs. The only difference is her comb; it is not a rose comb like wyandottes have. Her comb is a single with seven points. I have 16 wyandottes of five differ breeds. At my peek in the poultry world; I have over 500 chickens. I have never seen this. What causes this, Recessive gene?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like she has a single comb instead of a rose comb. I am not sure why this may have happened but somewhere in her bloodline, this comb has decided to make it's appearance! There will be others stopping by here to welcome you that might know the answer to this question.

You can also post this question the Wyandottes thread and maybe someone there will have the answer...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/279470/the-wyandotte-thread

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and are here to help.

X3 on the single comb.
This is what a single comb looks like

Last edited:
You may want to rehome her, since this issue is important to you. Otherwise she will introduce it into your birds through her chicks.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Single combs pop up once in a while in hatchery bred Wyandottes. X2 on the excellent link that Kelsie2290 has provided for you. Also X2 on not breeding her into your flock if you want to preserve a pure Golden Laced Wyandotte line. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your GLWs.

THank you folks for ya'alls' replies! You just confirmed what I assumed. I'm not in the breeding business right now (we live in the city limits); just egg and meat production. Waiting for my husband to retire from Univ. Of Missouri in 3 years. Then we will move to our farm and may get into breeding then. I retired from USDA, after 35 yrs as a plant and soil scientist. I was raised up on a farm in northeast MO in which we breed reg herfords and swine thus, familar with maintaining a pure line. I' m so glad I found this site!:)

Back
Top Bottom