1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Come on all you duck keepers post photos of you duck pens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wigggy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Wigggy

Wigggy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Come post your photos and tips to help people who are trying to build a duck pen because there's not many other posts on how to where to and what to make it from so join in and post some things about your duck pens :)

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well, i know there are those that do pen but for myself, i don't really.. the ducks have a 1/3acre that is partially fenced and then blocked by my garage lol I mainly free range though, for us one of the main reason of having ducks is pest control but obviously knee deep in snow right now that has little point in trying.

3. DeckDuck

DeckDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    Alright, I'll bite.

I had the opportunity to use a pre-existing professionally made coop and it is so nice. There's a Pullet-Shut door on the run side of the coop that works much better with the chickens than the duck. Casper finally learned to get inside the coop before it closed by waiting just on the inside with his head sticking out to watch the sunset every night.

I suppose the attached run looks pretty insane. We actually used plastic PVC piping as the supports. I suppose that sounds pretty insane too, but the run in practical use is very stable and has been standing straight for several years now. The pipes are buried four feet down and we just attached the chicken wire to accommodate the downward bend of the cross supports. Once the wire went up it ceased to even sway in the wind. The wire itself covers all sides + the ceiling and is buried one and a half feet down and then a foot out with cement blocks clamping it down. If I did it again I would use wood of course, but at the time I needed a run very quickly and couldn't afford the nice treated lumber that I wanted.

One night I checked on Casper earlier than usual before the door had shut and he went back outside later on in the evening. He stayed out there in the run until 11 P.M. when I noticed a white shadow in the back yard! I was horrified, but even though there was evidence of raccoons hanging out there the next morning, they weren't able to get into the run to harm him. Whew! All of that extra digging paid off.

The place is crawling with Silkies. The birds on the outside in these pictures are my eight year old blue Silkie pair and the little black thing inside the run is my late house chicken Inky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^ This one kept turning sideways when I uploaded it. I wish I had better pictures of the set up; these ones were taken in the fall and look so messy because the whole thing is situated under a cherry tree.

[​IMG]

I use a larger wading pool closer to the house for the duck during the warmer months. It's sheltered under a huge old maple tree and inside the larger fenced area that I let the birds range on.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    [​IMG]

This is our duck yard. It used to be open but has recently been covered with netting because of a bald eagle attack. Their yard is 70'x50' and slopes slightly downhill so the mud doesn't have a real chance to build up. Their house is 5'x10' and currently is housing 7 ducks but I feel I can safely add 3 more. They spend all their time in their yard except when we are outside doing chores and can keep an eye on the sky for eagles. So they get "out" for 1-2 hours a day and cover an immense amount of ground clearing up slugs and such. They have learned to not dilly dally.

5. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I free range 95% of the time but on the rare occasion that I'm having predator issues I pen them up. Last week I lost 2 mallards to a bald eagle so the crew is penned until spring maybe, just depends when the eagle moves on. The coop is 10x10 A-frame and the fenced area is 25x40 with netting overhead. The small enclosure is used as a quarentine pen for mean roosters during the summer, but this year it will be my meat turkey pen.

[​IMG]

6. Wigggy

Wigggy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    That is so cool how you have snow in australia their is no snow execpt heigh on the moutains :) and I love the coops they are all so well protected

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by