1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

come on girls, show me the EGGS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by top of the hill, Sep 12, 2011.

1. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    agggrrrr! I am so sick of wating, its killing me!!! I guess a watched chicken never lays ... or something like that!! [​IMG]

20 week old RIR's and Ameraucanas still not laying... although 2 of my RIR's have been chatting up a storm and just a few days ago squatted for me! I was so excited I was telling everyone and they of course looked at me like I had 8 heads! Now if I could just get that first egg, I'd show them! lol!

oh, and to add to my excitment... 3 barred rock chicks, hatched today and headed my way! looking forward to a few more ladies in the coop. I have a feeling that the DH will quickly learn about chicken math!! [​IMG]

2. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    8 heads....[​IMG] I know what you mean!

My 3 RIRs started laying at almost exactly 21 weeks....It was thrilling...you'll see! [​IMG]

I, too, was pretty impatient...but it DOES happen!!!

3. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Lol! Thanks kaybats! I cannot wait!!
    Glad to know your RIR's started laying at 21 wks, I guess I'll have to be patient a little while longer :)

4. ParadiseChickens

ParadiseChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    One of my RIR's started laying last week at 26 weeks. Problem with that is that I have 8 and the others dont have as large a comb or wattles as this one so I'm sure my wait is longer for them. They are all the same age. It has been hot here in Texas, triple digits for 67 days so I attribute some of the slow-to-laying to that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by