1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Come on guys and gals.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bufforpingtons13, Jan 13, 2011.

1. bufforpingtons13

bufforpingtons13 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Hi,

I am really interested in incubating eggs. I was wondering what kind of incubator to get? If you use a homemade one pics would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
  3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

You are going to get A LOT of opinions here!! Be ready!!!

I chose the Brinsea line ( www.brinsea.com ) for their reputation for being very easy to use and very reliable. The can be pricey, but have a good reputation.

Last spring one of my friends, who is a science teacher and knows NOTHING about chickens, purchased the "teacher pack" that includes the Brinsea Mini Advance. She ordered 6 eggs....all six hatched. At that point, I became a believer!

Good luck with whatever you choose [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A 'musical' incubator - really?? For some reason that made me flash on an incubator giving audio messages like "You got chicks," so you don't have to keep checking.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:[​IMG]

Wouldn't THAT be useful!!!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    TrystInn, I checked out your gorgeous 'bator - what talent. But must say your candler looks like something else. I won't say what because it's naughty. Lol. Don't mind me just an old lady who needs a good smack upside the head.

7. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I love my Hova-Bator 1588. Less then 150 bucks, holds 42 eggs with the turner. It is a plug and go just watch the humidity. I have to add water about everyother day. I have also gotten 100% hatches out of it. Not sure you can do better than that. Unless you set and hatched a double yolker. [​IMG]

8. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Mini advance brinsea
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by