comercial stand-on rat-proof feeder????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by toddreed, Mar 21, 2012.

1. toddreed

toddreed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    So I've seen a lot of these home-made feeders on the web where the chicken stands on a lever-arm which opens a lid to the trough of an auto-feed feeder. They all seem to work pretty well, and I'm thinking about building one as an end-alll solution to my rat problem. Seems pretty simple to build and I don't mind doing it, but I was wondering if there exists a commercially available one so that i don't have to re-invent the wheel?

-Todd

2. toddreed

Jan 12, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    ok, asterisk, I mean an affordable one. I just found the "grand-dad's chicken feeder" on the web. Looks nicely made but $195 plus shipping is a bit out of my ballpark.

-todd

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    You might try contacting the OP on this thread. He was selling relatively affordable treadle feeders. Good luck!

4. toddreed

Jan 12, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the tip! LOL! After posting this thread last night, I did a little more googling and found Al from www.thecarpentershop.net and ordered one of his plywood feeders. Coincidentally that's the same guy as the OP you refer to. Looks like a great design. I'm excited.

-todd

5. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Do you have ants in California? I don't think any kind of feeder sitting on the ground will work in Texas because of ants.

6. toddreed

Jan 12, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    well we do have them in CA, but never seen them in the feed so far.

-todd

7. Al Gerhart

Al Gerhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Yes, still making the feeder. It has evolved into a pretty decent product after we switched to galvanized sheet metal. Had to learn to work with the stuff and buy some expensive machinery but it is pretty bullet proof at this point. Hoping that BYC will respond to my email and get me in touch with their ad salespeople.

Here is the recently updated webpage for the feeder.

http://thecarpentershop.net/mediumplywoodchickenfeeder.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by