Comets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by katethegreat, Nov 24, 2009.

1. katethegreat

katethegreat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    Can anyone tell me what these are? The rooster is white and the hens are brownish red with white. They're all the same breed and came from a small feed store. I'm considering buying their chicks but want to be sure they're a quiet, docile, winter hardy breed.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    They are Golden Comets. "Golden Comet" is another name for Red Sex Link.

3. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Their chicks will not be the same as the adults because the parents are hybrids.

4. katethegreat

Nov 8, 2009
    So is there any way to sex them besides checking the vent? Here is a photo of the chicks... I live in the city so I can only have hens.

[​IMG]

5. gvntofly05

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:No, you won't be able to tell roos from pullets until they get older. You can't get a sex link chick from sex link parents.

Golden Comets are a cross between a White Rock hen and a New Hampshire rooster.

6. katethegreat

Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks!

7. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:No, you won't be able to tell roos from pullets until they get older. You can't get a sex link chick from sex link parents.

You can get a Sex Link from Sex Link parents.

8. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse

You can get a Sex Link from Sex Link parents.

That's what I thought too, but wasn't sure. The pullets are a darker red, with reddish markings on their back. The cockerels are a pale yellow. That I do know because I went to TSC when they got their chicks in and fell in love with the cute little red ones. I brought them home and went online to research what I had bought, (yeah, nothing like doing things backward-that's me!!) and was soooo glad to find out that I had gotten pullets. Lo and behold, 4 months later-eggs!!

9. gvntofly05

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:You can get a Sex Link from Sex Link parents.

That's what I thought too, but wasn't sure. The pullets are a darker red, with reddish markings on their back. The cockerels are a pale yellow. That I do know because I went to TSC when they got their chicks in and fell in love with the cute little red ones. I brought them home and went online to research what I had bought, (yeah, nothing like doing things backward-that's me!!) and was soooo glad to find out that I had gotten pullets. Lo and behold, 4 months later-eggs!!

If a Golden Comet roo is bred to a Golden Comet hen the chicks that hatch will not be sex link.

10. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:That's what I thought too, but wasn't sure. The pullets are a darker red, with reddish markings on their back. The cockerels are a pale yellow. That I do know because I went to TSC when they got their chicks in and fell in love with the cute little red ones. I brought them home and went online to research what I had bought, (yeah, nothing like doing things backward-that's me!!) and was soooo glad to find out that I had gotten pullets. Lo and behold, 4 months later-eggs!!

If a Golden Comet roo is bred to a Golden Comet hen the chicks that hatch will not be sex link.

Golden Comet is another name for Red Sex Link. Thus making them Sex Links.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by