Comfort Please - I lost 14 birds last night

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sweetshoplady, Apr 20, 2009.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    This morning I found that something burrowed under into my Silver Pheasant run and ate all my wood ducks (except the 2 that got out when I cleaned the pond). I had 6, so the raccoon? ate 4. And ate the nest egg that I had left. [​IMG]

Where do I get a live trap? I just finished (this morning) burying fence so it will be harder to dig under there. I had an "apron" on 2 sides, they went in where that ended. and to the pasture side.

I lost a couple chickens who were close to eating size too. And 6 chicks, who I forgot to bring in from their outside pen. By the time I remembered last night, it was too late. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So sorry. [​IMG]

Imp/Russ

3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. My heart goes out to you.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    So sorry for your loss! I hope you're able to catch the rotten pest that did it!! [​IMG]

5. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I know its frustrating when predators get into the coop. Had something take out my whole flock last year so I covered the top and the bottom.

6. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I am so sorry for your loss...It is always heart breaking when you work so hard to keep them safe and love them soooo and something comes in and kills or hurts them.....

About a trap....
    Try getting a live trap from your local co-op or Hardware store.
    You will have a better time finding a live trap....then use Hot dogs as the bait food... They always do the trick......They will catch just about anything........

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I'm so sorry you lost so many birds... [​IMG]

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry to hear about your birds. If you have a Tractor Supply in your area they carry the traps there.

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] I am very very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Our Home Depot stores sell Hav-a-Hart live traps. In addition to hot dogs, other good baits are smelly canned cat food, canned sardines, jelly donuts, and marshmallows. I have to put my bait in a bowl of water so the fire ants don't swarm all over it.

Be careful with the Hav-a-Hart traps that fold flat for storage. Once I lifted that type of trap with a big heavy raccoon caught inside. His weight allowed the bottom of the trap to sag enough that he was able to squeeeeeeeze out through the door & get away. [​IMG] Yeah, I was really upset about that, and phoned the company to complain, & they sent me a new trap that doesn't fold.

I can still use the folding trap, but I secure the door shut with wire or zip ties before lifting it with a critter trapped inside.

Also, have your plan in place for What To Do with the animal you trap, hopefully not a plan to release it anywhere in a 5-mile radius of anyone else's property.

Let us know how things go, I wish you success in your hunt!

10. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Stinking racoons! I hope you catch it. Best of luck rebuilding your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by