Coming back at night.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by suzanne2545, Dec 27, 2016.

1. suzanne2545

suzanne2545 New Egg

May 5, 2016
    My girls free range during the day and are very good at coming back into the hen house at night. Recently, we lost one of our pair of bunny rabbits. It seemed to us that the remaining bunny was a bit lonely. We have now moved her very successfully into the henhouse. She is loose with The chickens. Since it's winter, the chickens have not been going out of the house very often. When they have, we've just put the bunny in a crate temporarily. My question is, if we build a small fenced area outside of the coop to keep the bunny in, will the chickens come back and hang around by the fence at night for us to put them back in. Or, if they can't get into the coop will they go elsewhere. The way it works now in the evening they go into the coop we go down and make sure they are all there and then shut the door.

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    If the chickens cannot get back into the coop if its colder they will usually hang around the coop, if its in the summer they will usually go roost in trees.

I saw a cool thing for someone who had rabbits and chickens in the coop. They had a cage that was on the ground, there was a door going outside in the wall with a pen outside. The family would just stick the rabbit in the cage and it could go outside or in the cage during the day during the winter. I thought it was pretty cool.
    We have rabbits that run around our yard. They will come into the coop at night and back out in the morning.

1 person likes this.
  3. suzanne2545

suzanne2545 New Egg

May 5, 2016
    If they come have around I thin we'd spot them and let them in. We are just trying to figure out a good long term solution. Which, honestly might be another bunny. But the bun and the chickens seem just fine together and there is plenty of room in the coop for both. I need to double check she can't get the chicken food though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by