Coming Home Story and Pics of new chicks (MM's meat and egg combo)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicknLover, May 7, 2007.

1. ChicknLover

ChicknLover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Montello
    I had 3 hens for the last 2 summers, one passed due to prolapse and now I have two hens and a tractor, I recieved them from my sister in law when they were young but feathered out...

This is my first time with baby chicks [​IMG], ordered from Murray McMurray, and just picked them up from the Main Post Office in Madison, WI yesterday ( I had to knock on the door and explain myself, I guess they let Priority mail sit there until Monday!, only Express mail has a tracking number, so a very helpfull man looked out on the dock and found them for me! I told him I would hug him if I knew him better! He said there were a lot of boxes making peeping noises! I just couldn't wait until Monday to have them call me, couldn't stand knowing they were there and I coudn't take care of them! My Brother lives near Madison so I went there and had them all drink some sugar water and packed them up for the hour + ride home. Once home I put the GroGell powder in warm water and it got thick rather fast and put it on their food and boy were they hungry, eat eat eat poop eat drink etc...
    then I kept playing with their brooder light to get the temp just right, as the temp went way down when I put the food and water in the brooder then it went up too high then I got it just right! After watching them and taking pics I finally went to sleep about 10:30 last night -whew.
    I don't know what the breeds of the 10 layers are.. I know they are from MM's heavys, rare breeds or rainbow layers- I think the one that is mostly cream with a mask and stripe is the free one, probably a roo, it is even bigger than the CornishX's! and so calm and slower (he?) doesn't jump all around like the rest just wallks around like he's been around for a long time, there are seven colorful ones and one yellow with some grey on her head, there are 2-3 other yellow chicks that are a bit smaller stature than the Cornish X's, so I think those compose my eleven keepers. There are supposed to be fifteen meat birds and 10 hens and one freebie. I have poured over the MM catalog and feather site and there are so many I think I am waiting to identify them as I just can't figure it all out! If any of you know the breeds from experiance please reply

The pink towel pics are day one and the wood chips are day two, they seem to know what food is so I took out the towel...Oh they are so darling, I cleaned one pasted butt, but otherwise they all seem OK so far! Today they are sleeping alot, I suppose that is normal; about what percent of the time do they sleep/eat?? reply much appreciated, Happy Brooding, I feel like their mama... I so hope the picture comes out!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    The chick (center pic) is an Ameraucana, I believe. The two in the pic below it might be Brahmas..I'm not certain- they look similiar to mine. Gosh- it's hard to tell! But, to me, it looks like you have more than one Ameraucana.

3. ChicknLover

Mar 27, 2007
    Montello
    Thanks! I think the 3rd row from the bottom W/the front and back pics (of the bigger one I think is a roo) is a Phoenix, Oh I hope we can keep a Roo! I am not sure if my husband will sleep if it crows all night...I on the other hand I wear earplugs 'cause he snores!

4. tffstpp

tffstpp Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    williamsport pa
    Don't worry about being kept awake at night. No crowing at night. Chickens go to sleep at night too. They'll hold off until dawn to start crowing again.

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    this is what my Pheonix roo looked like at a few days old.
    [​IMG]

6. ChicknLover

Mar 27, 2007
    Montello
    I could be wrong but it looks like a golden Phoeonix from yours and feathersite pictures, he has a stripe on his back brown with a black white and black outline yellow body and the stripe on his eye. BUt...then again he has a puffy face and could be an americana...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by