Coming Home

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NYChicks345, Jun 25, 2011.

1. NYChicks345

NYChicks345 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Danube, NY
    Hello, My name is Jason and I am a new member. This is my first post. I decided it was time to introduce my boys to the world of raising chickens. I am not new at this, however I am sure I need some refresher courses. I raised chickens (along with various other animals) as a kid with my parents. At the time I wasn't aware of the lessons it was teaching me, nor did I care. About 13.5 years ago I left everything I knew as a kid and teenager to join the Army. To make a very long story short, after thirteen years of traveling, living away from what I knew as home, going from country boy to getting caught up in the hustle and bussel of the cities I lived in, and deployments over seas, my wife (high school sweetheart) and I decided to move back home to central New York ( upstate New York) Well close enough... I was raised in the southern Adirondacks:). I wanted to trade in out current lifestyle for something more simple and come home to my roots. I am married to an awesome women and I have two boys 7 and 3. Since the birth of my boys my parents have noticed how much times have changed and how different we raise our children now. I will guilty admit my boys are pretty spoiled (mostly by there two sets of grandparents). Over the past few years my mother has told me on more than one occasion when she sees us spoiling our boys that we should "give our boys everything we didn't have as kids, but make sure we give them everything we did have as well"... Well this brings me back to the topic of "Coming Home". We bought a pretty neat place in the country with an awesome view of the Mohawk Valley. Like I said we wanted a little bit simpler life and I want my boys to enjoy the same things I did as a kid... So as I was sitting around on our back deck watching the kids Thinking about what my mother has been telling me, I decided that chickens would be a good introduction to my boys of the life I used to know. Two weeks ago I brought home some golden polish, top hat specials, silkie bantams , and frizzle Cochins. The boys absolutely love them and they are growing fast. My dad and I are in the process of sawing our own rough cut lumber out of hemlock that we cut on his property. I plan on building an awesome chicken coop this summer and I will defiantly share it with you. Please feel free to post comments or helpful information to help me through the process. While I have raised chickens before, this time I bought some exotic looking breeds that I thought would be fun for us to raise and start to bring us back to our roots.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    WELCOME JASON!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join. You are really doing a good service to your boys teaching them about the basics of life. So many adults have no clue where their food comes from or what's in it and they are teaching their kids the same thing. Thank you and thank you for your service to this great country.

5. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG] Hi Jason! Congrats on "coming home" with your boys [​IMG] They're extremely lucky to have you as their dad [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC. My husband & I did a similar move 15 years ago to get back to our roots. Lots of hard work but love the country life.

8. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Chickens really are such a great learning experience for kids [​IMG] Thank you for your service & good luck with the chicks [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. You won't regret that decision. Thanks also for your service. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by