Coming out of the (quilt) closet

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by ChicknJ, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Ok, I think I am almost ready to jump in with you peeps. I have been a quilt thread lurker for....... a loooong time. I think I would love to give a swap a try. I'm a newby, but I love to quilt. My mother is truly my inspiration. This is what she gave me for christmas

[​IMG]

AND..................... This

[​IMG]

so I'm a sewing fool now and having tons of fun.... Can I play in the reindeer games now? [​IMG]

ohh, behind the machine is some of the squares of a tee shirt quilt I'm making... What a PITA!

2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Woo Hoo...Merry Christmas to you. You are one lucky lady. The quilt that she did is beautiful. I was just looking for a pattern for a quilt as was going to do an Irish Chain, but I like the design that your Mom did better.

So what are you working on?

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I LOVE that border. It give me an idea for my moms birthday gift (she doesn't know about it yet hehehe) WELCOME!!!!

4. ChicknJ

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    I learned how to make almost perfect pinwheels last night with Thangles. Took a couple tries but I was stoked when they actually started coming out right.

Zahboo, I sent you a pm a few days ago , I was just excited for you. You are out there slugging away. Proud of ya , we can do this!

I have been a fabric junky for years, so now I am pulling it all out and playing. I really would like to make a strippy purse , and I have ordered from fabrics.com twice in 2 weeks, it's hopeless..... another addiction

edited for....spelling (highly over rated)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Lucky! that is sooo pretty! i love how the border is done too! [​IMG]

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

WOW! Will your mom adopt me??!!

Jump in on one of the swaps! We have a few going. I'll have another strip swap going next month. Who knows whatelse may pop up!!

ETA---you can't keep it in the closet. Look at young Zaboo. A month ago she knew nothing now she is a quilting diva!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    That quilt is so so very pretty. And, what a nice sewing machine.

Yes, jump on in. Quilt swappers are great people.

8. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Welcome tothe addiction...you will love the journey!!!

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I just love the colors in that quilt.....but what about the one on the floor at the foot of the bed? Is that a quilt rug? [​IMG] but inspiring minds want to know [​IMG]

10. ChicknJ

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:Hello Miss Acre.... you and several of the other quilters on here are also my inspiration. I have admired you all from afar [​IMG]
    The quilt on the floor is a quilt that a woman gave me when she freecycled a bunch of old blankets. I was going to use the blankets for my garden on cold nights... but that one didn't go out to the plants! I hope I don't shame you when I say it's (one) of the dogs blanket, he loves it.

Here is the dog bed we made him

[​IMG]

It is an egg crate mattress pad (twin size) cut in half and tacked together, then a muslin case covered by a pink dog print polar fleece covering. On Otis is a quilt mom made several years ago. Now I don't want anyone here to get the idea that my Pibble is a weeee bit pampered OK?? It was a cold florida night here a couple weeks back, the guy was cold.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by