Coming out to Backyard Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by myyeep19, Aug 31, 2014.

1. myyeep19

myyeep19 New Egg

Mar 17, 2014
    I have visited this site secretly for a few years now. I had brought up the subject of raising chickens with my husband, let's just say I didn't get a positive reaction. I have always remember the taste, the excitement to gather those freshly laid eggs while visiting my grandparents in West Virginia. NOTHING BEATS A FRESH EGG! I ended up stopping at an orchard in Colorado and they had fresh eggs for sale, I bought some apples and a dozen eggs--oh they were beautiful and many colors (that was two years ago). When I got home from that trip I knew that I would have me some chickens! So on March 15, 2014 hubby and I just happened to be driving by feed stores and I was JUST looking. I came home with 3 chicks, about 2-3 weeks old, one americauna, one polish, and one cochin. Of course I had planned to have brooder before getting chicks, and coop before they turned into chickens but if you haven't realized this by now, I like to take my time about things and actually enjoy working under pressure. My hubby helped making the lid for the brooder and I knew he was hooked when he painted and used hinges for ease. Around the end of March he was looking in the brooder (he worked different hours/different days) and comments that they multiplied. "They did?!!" "Oh look there's ten." Just happened to walk in ACE Hardware store and came home with a California white, americauna, and blue andalusian. Of course I couldn't help but notice that more were coming in and from that shipment, I brought home 2 silver lace wyandottes, blue Wyandotte, and a silician buttercup. I felt that I had enough variety with my flock and that need for more chicks would cease, but it hasn't. Sometimes I think I need to enroll in chicken rehab, because I want to raise different breeds of chickens and I am seriously contemplating purchasing an incubator. I finished the chicken cave in June. I got my first egg July 3, 2014. I installed the nestbox mid July. The first three are laying consistently 2-3 eggs a day, 4-5 days a week. I've hit some bumps during this process, one of the silver laced wyandottes ended up being a roo, (which I didn't mine) and my Siberian husky killed three chicks of course 2 were my favorites. Yeah, I know not suppose to have favorites but they were the smaller of group and I looked after them more. I officially joined BYC in March 2014, here it is August 31, 2014 and I finally getting around to introducing myself. So back to the title of this posting: My name is Terri, I reside in Tucson, AZ and I have been "off the wagon" for 5 months, 15 days I AM A CHICKEN ADDICT!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    [​IMG] Welcome - glad you're finally out of the closet [​IMG]. I haven't heard of anyone being successful with chicken addict rehab, sooo - welcome to the asylum!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some families have tried interventions and even exorcisms but all have failed. Once chicken fever takes hold you are a carrier for life. So it's best to accept and make the most of it.

Use chicken math whenever you need an explanation - for instance there is a rule, If you get a roo(rooster) replace it with 2(hens. Bantams only count as half a chicken and eggs don't count at all - everybody knows you DON'T count your eggs before they hatch.
    Once they hatch they run around and it's impossible to count them - soooo they don't count!!

You don't have to explain anything to us, we will never tell you - that you have too many chickens. You can talk chickens forever here and no one will say "shut up?" [​IMG]

)

1 person likes this.
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Chicken math makes so much sense![​IMG] The answer is simple: You always need more. They are just like potato chips, you can't just have one!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Terri. Glad you decided to join our flock. We are all chicken addicts here and very few BYC members are immune to chicken math. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Enjoy all your adventures with your flock and welcome to ours!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Sounds like you have quite a flock! [​IMG]

Feel free to ask any questions that you have. We're all here to help!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by