1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coming to a Tractor Supply near you

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bishopschickens, Sep 16, 2009.

1. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Tractor Supply will begin carrying several types of Purina feed for Chickens and Horses. This should begin in aproximately three weeks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    I Think I'm Excited About That. I've Heard Good Things.
    Can You Answer Me One Question?
    What Is The Difference Between The (dumor I Thnk It Is) That They Sell There Now? That's What I've Been Getting.....

3. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This makes me very happy. Now I'm going to go and ask mine what types they will carry. Any chance they'll carry the waterfowl pellets?

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] I can't wait. Then I won't have to worry about getting to the feed store before 5. [​IMG]

5. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    Now if we could only get a tractor supply near us. But no, not here in Windham County.. [​IMG] , no big box store allowed, oh no, not here unless it is made from hemp, is tye dyed, or is made from beads by some artisan living on a trust fund. Oh, sorry [​IMG], I got carried away for a moment.

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    This is exciting news! I'm down to my last week's worth of laying mash that I got from the co-op and had planned to start feeding Layena from this point forward. I can get Layena at the co-op, and it's only a dollar more than the feed they offer, but it's good to know that I can also get the rest of the line at TSC cause I HATE HATE HATE poopy Dumar.

7. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    I dont know exactly which feeds they will carry. But I am very excited too. I love Purina but our local Purina dealler is running $4 a bag more than TSC. It didn't used to be that way but I couldnt afford the difference.

Now about the Dumort question, don't quote me on this but I believe Purina also makes Dumort but I guess if you were to grade the feed or something Purina would be like an A and Dumort would be a B. I think there is some fillers in it so in turn you chickens have more poo. I do know my birds like the Purina taste better.

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Does anyone feed the Nutrena feed? We were at our local farm supply and found it $3 cheaper a bag so we bought a bag to mix with our Purinea. The protein content was the same. Upon opening it we found the pellets to be larger and darker. It kinda smelled like catfish food. The chickens droppings got dark like molasses.

The seemed to like it though so may by more in the future...

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some pelleted feeds do have a coating on them. I believe Layena does. Southern States does not, but I cant get a nice fresh bag of SS feed from the store here to save my life, so I give all my business to the county co-op, which carries Tucker Milling, ADM Alliance Pen Pals, Faithway, and something else, I believe. Layena has no animal protein, while the ones I use do have animal protein.

10. chickinlickin

chickinlickin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by