Comments and reviews about peel 'n stick linoleum tiles?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frog522, Aug 17, 2010.

1. frog522

frog522 In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Hey all,

Coop is still coming along. Painting is almost done now I'm ready to start laying down some linoleum (polyvinyl) flooring (and wall edges up about a foot if I have time). I've seen alot of people on BYC using linoleum tiles. I was thinking of taking this route since I can't seem to find rolls of vinyl floor and I'm not familiar with how to secure it to the floor.

To those of you that have used or are using linoleum tiles:

-- How do you like them?
    -- Did you experience any adhesion issues when you applied them?
    -- Have you had any issues with tiles becoming separated from the surface it stuck to? If so, how many weeks/months until you started noticing it?
    -- What surface did you apply the tiles to? (Unpainted/primed/painted + OSB/Plywood/other)
    -- Did you use anything besides the peel 'n stick for adhesion? What kind?
    -- What commercial or homemade products or solutions do you use to clean the baddest-of-the-bad chicken messes?
    -- Any other tips about linoleum tiles?

Looking forward to your answers!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    -- How do you like them?
    Like them alot. Easy to lay, easy to cut, didn't take very long. Got them uber cheap on clearance, too.

-- Did you experience any adhesion issues when you applied them?
    Yes, they didn't really want to stick to the plywood. I thought I would have to get some floor glue, but I decided to just cut and lay them out anyway and if it didn't stick, I would glue them down later. Didn't have time to run to the home improvement store and a few days later they were sticking fine. I did stomp on them a bit, too.

-- Have you had any issues with tiles becoming separated from the surface it stuck to? If so, how many weeks/months until you started noticing it?
    Not yet, but it has not been long. If so, i would just glue them back down. No biggie.

-- What surface did you apply the tiles to? (Unpainted/primed/painted + OSB/Plywood/other)
    Unpainted plywood, although note to self, paint first, lol. I did stick a few to the OSB on the top of the nest boxes, too.

-- Did you use anything besides the peel 'n stick for adhesion? What kind?
    No, but if I had, I'd just get some floor glue from Lowe's or whatever.

-- What commercial or homemade products or solutions do you use to clean the baddest-of-the-bad chicken messes?
    I just scoop the poo up, so far, and toss in in the compost. So far, I've never used anything stronger than water or some dish soap.

-- Any other tips about linoleum tiles?
    No, that about sums it up.

3. ducks4you

ducks4you Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I like them for a house. I do not think I'd use them in a coop. My parents put in such a floor in their basement in the 1970's. Dad plumbed all of the lines, and it still looks great. However, outside, you are likely to have edges that come up from the everyday changes in temperature and humidity. Our houses are climate controlled. If they are there to protect your floor, I think you may not notice floor damage until it's further along than you would like.
    Why not call around, and see if you can find any place that will sell you inexpensive, damaged (like stained), unsellable vinyl flooring to use, instead?
    Just MHO. [​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Personally, I don't see the point. I don't understand how the vinyl tiles would perform better than painting the floor with a good latex semi gloss paint. With the tiles, you have the potential issues already mentioned (tiles not sticking, etc.), moisture can still get under the tiles from the joints, and crud can get caught between the joints. I think a nice, smooth painted surface would work better, and it's certainly faster to paint the floor than it would be to apply those tiles (cutting to fit).

p.s.: true linoleum is a quite different product from vinyl tiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleum

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:If you have a Home Depot near you, they have cheap Armstrong vinyl flooring (white with a black diamond pattern) that is on a 12' roll. That's what we used, and just put 1"x2" strips around the outside to hold the edges down and keep bedding from getting underneath.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would not use peel and stick lino tiles. Stick with wall to wall type of tiles.

OR buy some rubber mats used for horse stalls. They can take the abuse .

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I have regular roll-out vinyl flooring in my main coop. I've been building a small coop as a summer project, and went with the stick/peel tiles. They BITE! Don't like them at all. Thank goodness it's just a small coop I'm working on, because I've taken trim nails to all the corners of the tiles to insure that they don't come up. It was not worth saving a little money for me. And I may go back and cover with regular roll-out flooring anyway, because it's still bugging me!!

8. frog522

frog522 In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Is it worth it for me to add peel-n-stick vinyl tiles? The second layer of exterior semi-gloss (that I painted inside the coop) has already dried and I originally was planning to put down peel-n-stick tiles. I was thinking that the tiles would make it easier to clean but I am not quite sure if there is much value added. I was under the assumption it was so I was planning to put down tiles.

Is going tile-less, and putting shavings directly on top of the the semi-gloss painted floor sufficient? Or would putting down some sort of barrier such as peel-n-stick tiles, wall-to-wall linoleum, or matting preferred?

9. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Songster

The only down side I can see to a painted floor is that if it gets wet (spilled or leaking water from waterer or whatever) it may not provide quite as good a seal as roll linoleum. I really like our linoleum floor, and I got remnants from a carpet store for practically nothing - just go in and ask (haggle a little, they probably want to get rid of it). Or they sometimes have it at our local construction "re-source" store. It's pretty easy to put down, really easy to clean, and easy to shovel up the shavings every now and then when you are changing it out (I use a plastic edged snow shovel for that). I agree that the stick down tiles will likely NOT stick down in this dusty hot&cold environment, and there are lots of old posts about this from people who regretted using them - which is why I didn't.

10. raro

raro In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    I didn't know any better, and it seemed like a good idea to use them in my coop. I realized really fast that since I have a small coop that the hens only use at night, I wanted the door, walls, and floor to be easy to clean. So I peeled and stuck. I hadn't done more than a few on the inside wall when I realized they wouldn't stick. But they were leftover tiles and I was being stubborn and refused to spend any money! So we duct-taped them at the seams (my son is a duct-tape king, so we had a lot). I have loved the smooth, easy-clean surfaces. Don't regret it at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: