Commercial chicken farms

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by eggsited chickens, Jan 7, 2010.

1. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I'm trying to find websites that show how chickens are kept in commercial businesses. Does anyone know of such websites....how they never see the sun, crowded in cages, etc...

Thanks for any help

2. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    look at the PETA website,they will have lots of info. After you watch it your likely cut down on your meat consumption for a long while.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

No, I don't know of any websites, but.... there are alot of commercial birds grown around my area. There are STRICT guidelines to grow commercially. They don't raise them in cages, they roam. The growers get them as day olds, & grow them to butcher size, which is about 5 weeks. The houses are computer monitored so the heat can't fluxuate, They have windows lineing both walls, & doors on both ends for ventilation. The codes are so strict, my cousin had to quit growing them because of the cost to run a house. After every load of chickens are grown, the rice hulls on the floor have to be removed & replaced with new. He thought about upgrading to 3 new houses, but that would have cost about a million & a half.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010
  4. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Evil practice. I think it should be criminal.

Watch Food Inc. sometime. They show exactly how they are raised.

5. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Just a heads up for those that will condemn/condone commercial poultry farms. Not all are created equally. There are operations that are just as conscientious as most of us on here are w/our smaller flocks and those that make me glad I do what I do.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

**edited to remove trolling comments AND editing over a Staff Member.**

Love you Terri.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  7. Sir Birdaholic

Right on,dichotomymom, All states need to be as strict as Arkansas.

8. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Quote:Very true I am sure. I stand corrected but will still never buy a chicken from a grocery store again. [​IMG]

9. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Quote:Very true I am sure. I stand corrected but will still never buy a chicken from a grocery store again. [​IMG]

Same here as long as I can help it!!!!

10. Sir Birdaholic

I have chicken,wild pig,deer, & pasture beef all in the freezer. No commercial grown for us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by