Commercial egg cleaner?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hinotori, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Ok, here's the deal. Mom hasn't been able to eat eggs for years. They make her sick when she eats them. Usually within minutes. Well she decided to try the eggs I took down to her from my birds because they are so fresh. Not one has made her sick. She's thrilled to death and wants eggs every time I come down.

I've been trying to figure out what the big difference is. Only thing that really came to mind was the wash on the eggs. Is it possible that the wash gets into the egg?

2. DanielB

DanielB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    I've read some of Joel Salatin's books. He says since the bloom is washed off the egg can and does absorb some wash liquid.

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    since eggs are porous after the bloom is removed it makes perfect sense to me that some of the chemicals used in washing would penetrate the egg. Everyone's physiology is unique and it is quite possible that your Mom has a gastrointestinal hypersensitivity to said chemicals.

4. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    It was the only thing I could think of that would make that difference. Mom just has gone nuts over my eggs. She hasn't been able to stomach eggs for more than two decades.

5. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    it's so cool that ya'll discovered she can enjoy your eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by